Jerome J. Mischel, Jr (Jay): April 12, 1960 – January 31, 2018

My brother Jay passed away this afternoon, after a year-long fight with sarcoma, a rare and aggressive form of cancer. He was 57 years old.

Jay was the second of five children, and the oldest boy; 18 months older than I. As children, we were pretty much inseparable. At least that’s how I remember it. My fondest memories of early childhood include him. We began to drift apart when I was nine or ten, about the time he started going to junior high school. Although he did look out for me when we went on Boy Scout camping trips together. I went off to military school a few years later, and we didn’t see much of each other after that. We worked together with my dad for a few years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but went our separate ways again after Dad died.

From his early teens on, Jay was something of a rebel. He had his own idea of what made a happy and successful life, and it was decidedly different from what Dad had in mind. Early on, he tried to fit in to conventional expectations. After graduating from St. John’s Military School, he worked for a few years and then enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps, where he served for four years. Following his stint in the Corps, he went to work with Dad, building and operating small motels in Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico. But his heart really wasn’t in it. Jay’s passion was music, and when Dad died he began to follow that passion.

Jay lived for 25 years in the Branson, MO and Eureka Springs, AR areas, working sound and lights for shows, and working at various other businesses. He struggled financially at times, but he enjoyed his life. Jay was a good man who kept mostly to himself, but his friends could count on him for help whenever they needed it. He was a true fan of music, a talented lights and sound man, and a singer/songwriter. We kept in touch, but weren’t especially close. More my loss than his, I think.

Jay struggled with medical issues: a heart attack and bypass surgery when he was 43, gallbladder surgery a few years later, and a motorcycle accident that fractured his pelvis and permanently damaged one foot. A year ago he began having trouble with his leg, and in May the doctors discovered the sarcoma. Two surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation were unsuccessful in eliminating the cancer, and in December it became clear that he had little time left. Several of us visited him at Christmas as well as last weekend. Mom was there for over a month. Our sister was with him at the end.

Jay asked that there be a private family service, and that if you want to remember him, make a donation to your favorite charity, “or just be good to each other.”

His last words to me, as I was leaving Tuesday evening, were “See you on the flip side, bro.” Ditto, my friend. We miss you.

3 comments to Jerome J. Mischel, Jr (Jay): April 12, 1960 – January 31, 2018

  • Venu

    Hi Jerome,

    I am very sorry to hear that your brother is no more, My deep condolences to the bereaved family


  • Chuck

    Google brought me here in a quest for my Colorado State Flag woodworking project (flag proportions). Browsing your site a bit and found the 2/1/18 entry. Trying to clear this lump in my throat as type just now. It is an awesome post, your brother is proud of it.

  • Carol Brown

    I went to work at the Super 8 in about 1985,86 or 87 at the Super 8 motel in Cortez, Colorado. Jay had met at the McDonalds where I was working and told me that there was a front desk clerk position open. We had become friends because he was in McDonalds quite a bit. I argued with him about his way with customers and he argued with me about almost everything. He got to running around with my step-daughter and some of her friends and so was around me most of the time. He became a big brother to my youngest daughter and took the job very seriously, much to her dismay! haha The one thing that I was so happy to hear was that he made his peace with God. I remember him telling me that there was no God and at the time, he firmly believed it. It bothered me for many years. I miss Jay and our discussions. I was not in love with his music because it was a little harsh for me, but I got to listen to regardless! He would listen to mine (old rock and roll, country and big band) as long as it wasn’t on too long. I would push the envelop as far as I could. Thank you, Jay, for a job when I needed one, for companionship when it was needed, for being my friend as well as my employer, for being a good brother to my daugter. Stay out of trouble up there!



A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.